Matthew 25:38-40

"When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me'."

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Two Worlds in Contrast.

As we finished the last day of our shoe ministry, I had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that we have already spent 5 days here, and had given away the majority of our complement of shoes. As we wrapped up and put away all of our supplies, I found myself thinking of all the children that we had seen, and had not been able to help. That led to a number of us thinking and talking about the difference between the world we live in, and the world that we, the team, are now seeing around us.

As we compare our homes to the unfinished houses of cinderblock, rebar, and cement, our open lawns to either the cramped quarters of the poor, or the walled off enclosures of the wealthy, we found ourselves thinking about things that we take for granted in the U.S. Things that we viewed as near necessesities, essentials for living, now don't seem so important anymore. Somehow, a tripple mocha frappacino seems like gross excess after seeing people who sometimes have trouble getting enough to eat. I and others wondered how many people could eat well on our extravagances. And worst of all, we wondered how long it would be before we became numb to our experiences here, and continued to live as we always have.

As I wrap up my time here, I am experiencing mingled joy and sorrow. Joy for those that have been touched by this ministry. Sorrow for the many more that we couldn't. Joy for those kids who have come to Christ through this trip. Sorrow for the state they, and so many others, live in.


I pray that God will keep my memories of my experiences here strong in my mind, at that I will be yet more active in caring for those in need, at home and abroad.

Matthew Heyns

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic post. Putting a light on the situation for those of us in cozy USA. Praying for you as you deal with the emotion of being there, and returning home.

    ReplyDelete